Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Down by the seaside







The last three days we spent on the offshore island of Caye Caulker, a one hour water taxi ride north east of Belize City. The weather was great, sun hot, beer cold, water warm, and some of the best snorkeling in the world. We had two boat trips out to the edge of the reef to snorkel. The reef is supposed to be the second biggest reef in the world next to Australias barrier reef. We puchased a disposable underwater camera, and managed a few good shots, though its tough to look through a diving mask and a camera view finder and still see what is in the picture. I will have to go back next year and practice.
The sharks were just nurse sharks but their outline in the water still gets the heart pumping. There were many colourful fish and beutiful coral gardens.The high light for me though was swimming with some 50 or 60 Southern stingrays some as much as 4ft across. Sadly we had run out of film in our underwater camera but my wife stayed on board and captured me with the rays,they are the dark objects in the water. They were so graceful to watch and at times when the water was full of them they never once touched me but would let me touch them when I reached out. We had a truly wonderful holiday in Belize and are already talking about when we go next year!!

No comments: